I am in the mood to experiment! So I have decided to see what a media detox will do for my creativity, concentration and general well-being.
So for the next couple of weeks I am not going to use the internet – more specifically social media – this means
- No Instagram
- No Facebook
- No Pinterest
- No Youtube
- No mindless internet browsing
- No reading or writing blog posts
I am going to need to use the internet for all things Saltmarsh and Samphire related, so I will still be using our business page on Facebook for The Art of Everyday Photography group interactions, and I will still need to keep up to date with work emails. But I am going to be doing this in a much more structured way;
- I will only use the internet for business purposes on my laptop – my little tablet will be having a rest for 2 weeks (my phone is only a phone, so no internet there)
- I will be checking emails twice per day – once at 10am and once at 5pm (not having notification pings throughout the day seems wonderful to me)
- I will be using Facebook in a similar way and not mindlessly checking if I have a spare five minutes
- I am allowing myself to have access to my online banking if I need it too
Apart from that the internet is pretty much off limits.
I am really interested to see what this does do to my concentration levels – can I read again without the urge to reach for my tablet after 3 minutes?! Will my creativity increase without the pull of the internet – will I reach for my camera or felt tips, go out, move and create more without comparing myself to others?!
I have a feeling that my general levels of anxiety, frustration and self doubt might decrease – who knows? Constantly seeing other people’s “perfect internet styled” lives, what they have and what they do, can’t be great to compare your “normal” life to all the time.
I am going to keep some notes on my experiences, and I will aim to share them with you in a couple of weeks’ time (assuming I last that long!).
While I am away I am going to participate in Susannah Conway’s April Love project (although I won’t be sharing my photographs daily on the blog or Instagram as I had planned a couple of weeks ago) and I will show you some of the photos when I get back.
I am going to concentrate on Saltmarsh and Samphire, photography and dedicated me time (not time spend looking at other people’s lives and times).
I hope you all have a good couple of weeks while I’m away – see you on the 15th April!